Rockwell’s New Flex 5000 Distributed I/O
Rockwell Automation’s highly successful 1794 Flex I/O just got an upgrade. The new 5094 Flex 5000 I/O product line is finally here. It has a whole host of features that can handle just about any demanding application. The positioning of this In-Cabinet I/O offering is geared more towards the process environment where uptime is critical. However, this is not to say that any application benefit. Whether your looking for higher performance (1ms Screw to Screw response time) or flexible network architecture, the New Flex 5000 delivers.
With any new product, the Flex 5000 will get released in stages. First the Standard I/O modules, then Safety and High Density 32 Point I/O modules following shortly thereafter. Aside from all the other features listed below, another benefit is having additional remote I/O safety options to choose from, and High Density I/O modules are key when selecting this I/O family above the 1734 Point I/O offering.
Now it’s important to note that you’ll need Studio 5000 Version 31 or greater to be able to use the new I/O platform. Also because of its high speed and all its features, only the ControlLogix/GuardLogix 5580 or CompactLogix/Compact GuardLogix 5380 generation of programable automation controllers will be able to be used. The Stratix 5400 all-Gig switch is a nice compliment to the architecture.
Here’s what you can expect to get with the New Flex 500 I/O family:
- 1 GB backplane
- Up to 200 μs RPI support
- Secure embedded Web Server
- Input Power & Temperature Diagnostics
- Dual Color LED for Status and Diagnostics per I/O point.
- Capable of RIUP (Remove & Insertion Under Power)
- Add and configure modules online
- CIP Sync and PTP (Precision Time Protocol) support
- Module Birth Certificates (QR Codes on the front give hardware information)
- Digitally Signed Firmware support
It’s Network Ready
- Dual 1GB Ethernet Connections
- Supports Linear, Star, Device Level Ring and Parallel Redundancy Protocol (PRP) topologies
- Optional Fiber Connections w/ SFP adapters
It’s Designed for Rugged Environments
- Temperature Ranges -40 °F...158 °F (-40 °C…70 °C)
- Certified for Class I, Div. 2 Zone 2 Groups A, B, C, D
- Class G1, G2 and G3 (XT version adds conformal coating to meet Class G3)